History of the Manchester Area
Manchester Transport Managers' Club was formed in 1947 under the Chairmanship of Mr. A.E. Babbs, with 28 members.
Meetings were held at the Denmark Hotel Moss Side at lunchtimes once monthly.
Later the meetings moved to Belle Vue where the Ladies Evenings were held.
ln 1962 the Club reached a peak membership of 65 and in 1965, due to the reorganisation at Belle Vue the meetings were moved to the Ellesmere Restaurant where the Annual Gentleman's Evening was held. At the same time the meetings were changed to evening meetings.
The Club remained at the Ellesmere until it was demolished for redevelopment in 1980. There then followed a period of flux with various venues being tried. The membership at this time fell to an all time low of 10. These members were, however, determined that the Manchester TMC was not going to fold up and by dint of their efforts the Club is in the healthy condition that it is today with a membership of 3O active members.
ln 1982, the meeting venue was changed to Worsley Old Hall where it remains with the Ladies Evening at the Cresta Court Altrincham and the Annual Sportsman's Evening at the Willows in Salford.
Once again due to redevelopment various venues were tried and used ending at the Monton House Hotel until its closure in 2012.
We then moved to our present venue The Club House at Eccles where at present 2019 we have 18 members and hold monthly evening meetings having speakers from all business and interests.
During the various venues used we have continued to hold our annual ladies evening at the Cresta Court Hotel Altrincham the sportsman's evenings being dropped some time ago due to lack of support.